Rise of the Kings Tips, Strategy Guide
In Rise of the Kings, you are a ruler tasked with rebuilding your kingdom after a massive invasion from the dark forces of the world. As you rebuild, you have to take into account your resources, resources that you can gather, army size and powers, as well as worrying about other players and enemies trying to attack you. As this is an RTS, or Real Time Strategy, game that requires time management and smart planning to deal with enemy players, knowing how to upgrade portions of your land properly and what to wait on is important. Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure you maximize your output and keep yourself safe throughout the game.
Rise of the Kings Tips
To start, we’ll go over upgrading and researching. Upgrading and researching are both core portions of the game. To become stronger, you must make sure to keep up with your resource production plots, as well as keeping up with researching new tech. But, as both of these require real time to put into it, making sure you make the most out of your time is essential. Here are some tips and tricks to shorten down your resource spending and time spent.
- Gathering research, Army research top priority. Gathering research and Army research components are your best source of spending. In terms of quantity returned, upgrading the gatherer’s side of research enables your armies to carry more weight and to travel faster to resource tiles outside of your kingdom tile. This is much faster than your kingdom plots that only give you minimal per hour. Army research will shorten training times for armies, upgrade damage and defense and health, and allow you to put more troops into an army, effectively bolstering your gather amount as well as giving you better options for attacking. Putting full priority into Gathering and Army research is your best option in terms research.
- Resource production research can be forgone. Do not run down most of the resource production side of research. This really only gives a slight percentage increase to production from actual resource plots within the kingdom, so it only will do you good when you reach higher levels and your resource plots are fully upgraded. Until then, it’s quite wasteful to research unless you are researching the increased maximum load weight and the like.
- Upgrade resource plots to one below your castle. Resource plots within your kingdom are only able to be upgraded to your castle level. For instance, if your castle level is 14, your farm or woodcutter may only be upgraded to level 14 as well. Now, why I say only upgrade your resource plots to one below your castle level is so you don’t get bogged down with upgrades. As the time moves up, soon you’ll end up upgrading resource plots that you don’t really need to, spending 20-30 hours waiting for farms to go up in levels when you could easily make up the difference by gathering from resource tiles out in the world, and spending those hours on more important upgrades, such as barracks and training grounds and the like.
- Start longer research when you go to sleep. This one is a slight no brainer, but necessary. After approximately level 5 and 6, research timers start hitting multiple hours. You’ll be waiting 3-4 hours for research and upgrades to go through. To maximize your profits from upgrading, hold off on that large level 9 upgrade that will take 5 hours to go and, instead, upgrade that lower tier stonemason or training grounds that will only take 1 hour. That way, you can fit more into the day while you are active, and then, as you sleep, let the longer upgrading periods slowly work their magic. Keep in mind though, this will only really work in the middle upgrading areas, as the higher levels will start requiring multiple days to upgrade.
That covers upgrading tips and tricks. Now let’s look at the real-time strategy portion of the game. As all Online MMO games of this nature go, you will have your kind people, and your not so kind people. To mitigate damages, there are a number of steps and safeguards you can take to make sure you retain the most of your resources and armies.
Rise of the Kings Strategy Guide
- Make yourself look smaller than you actually are. By making yourself seem like a smaller target, you distance yourself from enemy raider’s radars. If you are scouted and are seen with multiple goodies, you will be pinpointed as a good farming tile, like a resource gathering plot. To mitigate this, never hold more than is necessary. This means to not try to store up too many resources when you aren’t going to use them. Your storehouse can only hold so many resources, so only gather what you need for your next set of upgrades. This reduces the chance of enemies looking to steal your hard-earned resources.
- Hide your troops. This goes in hand with making yourself look small to enemies. Hiding your troops makes it simple to make it seem like you may be inactive or not have large armies. One trick you can use is to store them in faraway resource tiles in the world. As gathering takes time, so does travelling to the resource plot itself. If you send out your gathering troops to a tile that will take an hour or two hours to reach, and calculating the time it takes to even gather the resource, you can hide your troops outside of your kingdom for over 5 hours without having to shelter them or anything of the sort. A simple trick, that lets you stay safe.
- Join an alliance and move to their hive. Joining an alliance will allow you to partake in other people’s resources and kingdoms. Most alliances will generally form what is known as a hive, where you gather together in a certain area to stick close to each other. This serves two different purposes. Number one, you are closer to your allies. That means they are only seconds away from helping you gather resources for that higher tier upgrade, or they can rally to attack your aggressor, getting your resources back for you. Second, staying in a hive elongates the time enemies will have to take to reach your kingdom. As long as you are within their range, they can attack. Thus, the only difference is how far away they are, and how long it will take for them to reach you. Having a hive and sticking closer to the middle means that any outside raiders will have to move an extended amount of tiles to reach you, giving you more time to shield up or move resources out of your kingdom. For instance, if you were alone, a raider would be able to port right beside your kingdom, and hit you in under 30 seconds, as it takes 20 seconds to move from one tile to a surrounding tile. But, if you are in a hive, and you put 4-5 tiles between you and your enemy, that can jump up to many minutes before the enemy reaches you.
- Get a shield or anti-scouting tool. This is almost a last ditch effort to protect yourself, but is the most effective of all. Shields are protective bubbles that you are able to buy from the store using gems. These shields allow no one to even scout your kingdom or attempt to attack you, although they can attack any armies outside of your kingdom tile. Scouts are more in case someone tries to take a peek inside your kingdom. They do not allow any information to be given to the enemy, so they can’t strategize if they do want to hit you or not. Both are very effective in deterring enemies, but shielding is the only 100% effective safeguard.
This has been my tips and tricks to rising through the ranks of kings in Rise of the Kings. I hope you found these useful, and happy grinding to you.